Would you like Windows 10’s desktop icons to be larger so you don’t have to squint at them, or so they’re easier to tap on a touch screen laptop? Or do you wish they were smaller so that the shortcuts took up less space on the screen of your laptop? Not to worry, we’ve put together a quick guide to changing the size of Windows 10 icons.
How to Change the Size of Desktop Icons in Windows 10
If the icons on your desktop are too big or too small, you can quickly resize them to one of three sizes.
- Right-click on an empty space on your desktop.
- Select View from the contextual menu that appears on the screen.
- Select either Large icons, Medium icons, or Small icons from the list. The default is medium icons.
On my laptop with a native 1600 by the 900-pixel display, the large option appears enormous, the small option appears too small, and the medium size appears just right. Your mileage may vary depending on the display resolution of your screen. Changing the size of the desktop icons has no effect on the size of the icons elsewhere in Windows 10, but there are ways to change those as well.
If the three available options aren’t quite right, you can resize desktop icons using another method:
- Using the scroll wheel on your mouse to resize desktop icons. Here is how:
On the desktop, press and hold the Ctrl key while you scroll the wheel to make icons larger or smaller.
- Change the view layout of Desktop using Keyboard, here’s how:
On the Desktop, press and hold the Shift + Ctrl keys and press a number key 1 to 8 until you have the view layout you want for your desktop, then release the Shift and Ctrl keys.
These adjust the size in smaller increments, allowing you to get the size as close to what you want as possible.