RAM is one of the most important pieces of hardware in your iPhone for keeping it running smoothly. If you believe your iPhone is slow or underperforming, it is time to clear the RAM and speed up your iPhone.
Other methods for speeding up your iPhone include restarting and force quitting apps. Despite the introduction of the new iPhone 13 lineup, the process remains the same as with its predecessors. But, before we get began, let’s take a quick look at RAM and why restarting it is beneficial to you.
What is RAM?
What exactly is RAM? RAM stands for random access memory, also known as volatile working memory, as mentioned in the introduction. RAM is the amount of space available on your iPhone for data that is currently in use. RAM is the memory that your iPhone uses to handle active processes such as running apps and games and listening to music. If your RAM becomes overloaded, it will cause your iPhone to get slower.
What Does Clearing RAM Do on iPhone?
Clearing RAM on your iPhone frees up some processing power. This is accomplished by removing any unnecessary information from the background. Nothing appears to have changed on the surface, but you will notice a difference when using your iPhone.
With less information to process, your iPhone will run faster and more smoothly. It is a completely safe and effective method of increasing your device’s performance.
How to clear RAM on iPhone with AssistiveTouch
You can use AssistiveTouch to reset the RAM on newer devices with Face ID, such as the iPhone 13 mini, iPhone 13, iPhone 13 Pro, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPhone 12 lineup, iPhone 11 series, iPhone XS, XR, and X. Here’s what you should do:
- Open the Settings app on your iPhone and tap Accessibility.
- Tap Touch > AssistiveTouch.
- Turn on the toggle next to AssistiveTouch.
- Now go back to Settings and tap General swipe down select Shut Down.
- Tap once on the AssistiveTouch button. Finally, touch and hold the virtual Home button in AssistiveTouch. Leave it when the iPhone’s screen flashes and returns to the Lock screen.
RAM has been successfully cleared on your iPhone. Enter the password if prompted.
Clearing RAM on older iPhones is faster because it does not require AssistiveTouch. Consider the iPhone 8 and 8 Plus, the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus, the iPhone SE, and the iPhone 6s, 6s Plus, 6, and 6 Plus. Here’s what you should do:
- Press and hold the Power button until the slider to power off appears on the screen.
- Release the power button then press and hold the Home button for 5 seconds.
- Wait until the screen flashes indicating that the RAM cleaning process has been completed.
These are the steps to clear the RAM on your iPhone. Your iPhone will run smoothly and without lag after a little spring cleaning. Keep this trick in your back pocket for when your device seems to be acting strangely. If you have any questions, please leave them in the comments below. We’ll do everything we can to assist you!