Many Facebook users overlook the importance of Facebook privacy. However, knowing how to make photos private on your Facebook account is essential if you want to keep pictures of your children, home, and other sensitive personal images away from prying eyes.
Scammers are constantly searching every social media platform for enough information about you so that they can tailor things like phishing emails or cold calls to deceive you. Local thieves may even look through your public photos for security flaws around your home in some cases.
Facebook provides various levels of privacy for your Facebook page. Facebook privacy settings can be used to hide photos, your profile picture, or entire Facebook albums. You can also choose to make all future photos you upload to Facebook private.
How to Make Your Facebook Photos Private
You can change the privacy settings of entire albums or individual photos on Facebook to make them private. Of course, the easiest way to hide photos on Facebook is the former, so we’ll start there.
How to Make Facebook Albums Private
Instead of having to make each photo private individually, you can change the privacy of an entire album on Facebook to save time.
However, keep in mind that you can only edit the audience of your own photos, not those of your friends.
To make a Facebook photo album private, follow these steps:
- Navigate to the Photos tab from your profile.
- Then, under Albums, locate the photos you want to make private.
- Navigate to the appropriate album, then click the three dots in the upper right corner.
- Choose Edit. You’ll see a section labeled “Friends” or “Public,” along with an icon depicting two people. To change the audience of your album, click that.
- You can control who can see the album from this page. Choose Only Me if you don’t want anyone else to see this album and want to make it private.
- Then, using the back arrow, select Save (desktop) or Done (mobile). This will make all of the photos in your Facebook album invisible.
If you don’t want to make the photos completely private and still want to share them, but with a more limited audience, you can select the Friends, Friends except, or Specific friends audience options.
If you only want to show the album to a group of friends on a specific list, go to Show Lists and select the list with which you want to share the album.
How to Make Individual Facebook Photos Be Private
Individual photos on Facebook can also be made private by changing their privacy settings.
It’s important to keep in mind that you can only change the privacy settings of specific photos within certain groups or albums. These are some examples:
- Photos of you
- Profile photos
- Cover photos
- Timeline photos
- Mobile photos
Photos uploaded in batches with others and as part of an album will adhere to the album’s settings.
To make a single Facebook photo private, follow these steps:
- Navigate to your profile and select the Photos tab. Then choose which photo you want to make private. In the top right corner, click the three dots.
- Choose Edit privacy.
- To remove the photo from your timeline and make it private, change the privacy setting to Only Me.
- Your new privacy settings will be saved automatically.
You can also select other audience options if you don’t want to completely conceal the photo and simply make it less visible.
A good cyber hygiene practice is to review your social media accounts and change the audience settings on your photos to private. It will not only protect your data, but also the privacy of your loved ones who may be in the photos you upload.
Although anonymity cannot be achieved in a single click, making your Facebook profile private is a relatively simple process. Simply follow the steps outlined in this article, and you should be fine. Do you have any advice, tips, or questions about making your Facebook profile private? Please share your thoughts in the section below!